Towards the end of the 19th century, the Fruits and Vegetables Supply Market where the Balvanera neighborhood stood. Its location was the ideal one since it was almost in the geographic city center and half way between La Boca and Olivos, two fruit and vegetable production areas. The “Abasto Market”, as it was popularly known, was considered as one of the most important ones in South America in 1893.
In 1934 there were works to enlarge and improve the building that gave it the current look it has, plus it made possible to sell fish and meat, something that was highly impossible in its beginnings.
The project of the building as we know it nowadays is the result of the works of three architects: Delpini, Sulsio and Besque. The total area was 44,000 square meters and it had access for trains and subterranean parking lot.
In 1984, 50 years later it stopped working since a law that stated that it had to be transferred to the Central Market was passed. The growth of the city no longer allowed it to fulfill its functions in a normal way since this are had become a very busy one. This marked had influenced the history of the city in such a way that said area is known as “Abasto’s neighborhood” (in an unofficial way), and the legend of the most popular myth of Buenos Aires travels its streets: Carlos Gardel.
After a long period of inactivity and abandonment, in 1999 the Abasto Shopping was inaugurated. It kept the structure and the architectonic design of the old building. It hosts 250 clothing brands, a food court for 1500 people, 12 movie theatres and a whole 6000 square meters area with entertainment and games, plus the “Museum of the Children” where the youngest ones can learn while they play.
Nowadays the Shopping del Abasto is a symbol of this traditional neighborhood of Buenos Aires.