Inspired by the great European commercial galleries, the Pacific Galleries were projected to lodge great stores that belonged to the style of the Parisian “Le Bon Marché”, in order to offer in this Argentinian version the best of the world-wide fashion. This building surprises by its ample and spacious corridors, the crossings that interrelate themselves in a harmonic way, and the glass vaults and the magnificence of the central one, product of an architectonic design worthy of admiration.
The original project dates from 1889 and belongs to the architects Emilio Agrelo and Rolando Le Vacher, and its restored version is from year 1992 by the architects J. C. Lopez and Associates.
It hasn’t always been a commercial gallery. In 1896 it hosted the Museum of Fine Arts for a number of years; afterwards, a part of the building became part of the Railroad administration of Buenos Aires. Later, a remodelling was projected in order to separate the Commercial Gallery from the area pertaining to the Railroad. Mural paintings from great artists such as Spilimbergo, Berni, Castagnino, Colmeiro and Urruchua were produced for such event and stayed embodied as masterpieces in the four-hundred-fifty square meters of the dome.
In 1989 it was declared National Historic Monument and due to a concession, it is nowadays administered by the company Galerias Pacifico S.A (Pacific Galleries Corporation.).