This is the second oldest square of the city and it used to be known in times of the colony as the Wagon Market of the High lands of San Telmo. Wagons filled with domestic products arrived in there while going to the Square Market, that was located where Plaza de Mayo stands today
It was declared National Historic Monument because that was where the people of the town met in order to ratify in Buenos Aires the Independence Declaration of the year 1816, that was later signed in the city of Tucumán.
In the year 1970, as a City Museum initiative the Antique Fair of St. Peter Telmo was created. It used to work on Sundays from 10am to 6pm. As time went by, a spontaneous popular and cultural movement originated around the fair where all artistic displays take place. Tango, murga (street band) and folklore also had their place there.
The square is surrounded by all kinds of bars and restaurants with privileged seats so that the visitor becomes part of a show where genuine neighborhood characters parade: musicians, artists, tango dancers, characters in historical costumes mingled among old hats, phonographs, china sets, art noveau lamps, old bottles, bronzes, old advertising signs and the eternal picture of Carlos Gardel.