This theater was first called “de la Avenida”, on the so Spanish Avenida de Mayo. It opened in 1908 by action of the Spanish community. The first play was “Castigo sin Venganza” (punishment without revenge), by Lope de Vega. It specialized in the Spanish lyric genre, and was known, for long, as the theater of “zarzuela” (Spanish operetta) and Hispanic “sainete” (one-act farce).
It was closed in 1979 due to a fire that damaged the room significantly and destroyed the façade. A number of years later, it started to be rebuilt through the effort of a group of business people, both Argentine and Spanish. The new Avenida Theater (for up to 1200 spectators) was inaugurated in 1994, with Placido Domingo performing in an exclusive and elegant setting. Nowadays, its opera season program is highly important.